You have to check out this delicious broccoli and cheddar grilled cheese sandwich! You can eat it on its own or dip in a bowl of light tomato soup.
Ohhhh myyyy gooodnessss…I’m getting hungry just writing this blog post! Everyone knows broccoli and cheddar are a stellar combination, but slapping them between two slices of buttered sourdough bread and grilling it up is just insane!
Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables but I don’t really eat much of it. This idea came to me during a chilly winter night when I noticed a stalk of broccoli in the fridge. It’s so easy to put together and it really hits the spot when only comfort food will do.
broccoli cheddar grilled cheese
- Yield: 3
- 2 Cups broccoli (chopped)
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 slices good quality sourdough bread
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the broccoli and the water, cover.
- Let the broccoli steam for 8-10 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain the cooked broccoli and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Top one slice of bread (on the unbuttered side) with 1 slice of cheddar, some steamed broccoli, and top with another slice of cheese.
- Top the sandwich with another slice of bread (buttered side facing out) and heat the sandwich in your skillet over medium-high heat until the sandwich is golden brown on one side and the cheese starts to melt.
- Turn the sandwich around and heat on the opposite side- press the sandwich down with a spatula as it cooks to get a “panini” effect and super crispy crust.
- Calories: 2052
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 3081
- Fat: 86
- Saturated Fat: 52
- Unsaturated Fat: 29
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 231
- Protein: 92
- Cholesterol: 237