You have to check out this delicious broccoli and cheddar grilled cheese sandwich! You can eat it on its own or dip in a bowl of light tomato soup.
Ohhhh myyyy gooodnessss…I’m getting hungry just writing this blog post! Everyone knows broccoli and cheddar are a stellar combination, but slapping them between two slices of buttered sourdough bread and grilling it up is just insane!
Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables but I don’t really eat much of it. This idea came to me during a chilly winter night when I noticed a stalk of broccoli in the fridge. It’s so easy to put together and it really hits the spot when only comfort food will do.Print
broccoli cheddar grilled cheese
- Yield: 3 sandwiches
- 2 Cups broccoli (chopped)
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 slices good quality sourdough bread
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously.
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside. You want the ice water close to the pot of boiling water.
- Drop the broccoli into the pot of boiling water, let it boil for 3-4 minutes, remove the broccoli from the hot water and immediately drop it into the ice water. This is called “shocking” the broccoli and cooks the vegetable while retaining a tender crisp and bright green color. Drain the shocked broccoli and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Top one slice of bread (on the unbuttered side) with 1 slice of cheddar, some cooked broccoli, and top with another slice of cheese.
- Top the sandwich with another slice of bread (buttered side facing out) and heat the sandwich in your skillet over medium-high heat until the sandwich is golden brown on one side and the cheese starts to melt.
- Turn the sandwich around and heat on the opposite side- press the sandwich down with a spatula. Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has completely melted.
- Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 838mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 40.9
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Cholesterol: 79mg