This broccoli pesto soup is a delicious and easy way to get more vegetables in your diet. You use frozen broccoli that you can always keep on hang making this a perfect last minute dish.
Inspiration for my recipes usually comes from cook books, restaurants, and seasons. Sometimes inspiration hits simply because I happen to have a certain ingredient on hand and I start to feel adventurous.
During a routine freezer clean out, I noticed that we had a few bags of frozen broccoli on hand. One thing lead to another and the next thing I knew, I was enjoying the rainy weather with a steamy bowl of broccoli pesto soup.
I used a jar of Trader Joe’s pesto that was hanging out in the fridge, and although it’s not 100% home made, I read the label and trust the ingredients.
I hope you try this recipe out and, as always, feel free to comment or ask questions if any steps don’t seem clear to you.
broccoli pesto soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion- diced
- 1 Cup shredded carrot
- 18 oz. frozen broccoli florets
- 4 Cups chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 Cup store bought pesto (read the ingredients, makes sure it’s all natural)
- salt and pepper to tast
- Optional toppings: cheddar cheese, chives, sriracha!
- Dice the onions and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots and cook an additional 8-10 minutes…at this point, add 1 teaspoon of salt to draw out the water from the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent and starting to turn brown, add the broccoli and the broth, cover the pot, and cook until the broccoli is tender..about 15 minutes.
- If you had an immersion blender (aka stick blender) use it to blend the soup, right in the pot, into a smooth consistency.
- If you don’t have a stick blender, pour the soup in a regular blender in small batches and blend until smooth (do this very carefully, you don’t want hot liquid spraying everywhere!).
- If you used a regular blender, return the soup to the pot and add the pesto and stir.
- Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve up a bowl and garnish as desired. Enjoy!