broccoli pesto soup
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion- diced
- 1/2 shallot – thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cup store bought pesto (read the ingredients, makes sure it’s all natural)
- 2 16-ounce bags of frozen broccoli florets (don’t defrost)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- cheddar cheese or chives to garnish (optional)
- Dice the onions and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and 1/2 tsp salt to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until translucent.
- Thinly slice the shallot, cook with the onions for 6-8 minutes until starting to brown. Lower the heat to medium if the bottom of the pan is browning too quickly.
- Once the onions are browned around the edges and the bottom of the pan is brown, add ¼ cup water and scrape up the brown fond (browned food bits) from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook over medium heat until the water evaporates.
- Lower heat to medium and add ⅓ cup store bought pesto.
- Cook the pesto with the onions until very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 16-ounce bags of frozen broccoli florets into the pan.
- Add 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, increase heat to high, cover the pot and bring the stock to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Continue to cook until the broccoli is tender – a fork should easily pierce the broccoli and come back out again.
- Once the stock is boiling and the broccoli is tender add 1 cup cold filtered water to the soup and turn the heat off. Cooling down the soup will make it easier (and safer) to blend.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the broccoli. If you don’t have an immersion blender, pour the soup into a blender and blend.
- Add 2 cups more of chicken stock, turn the heat on to high and bring the soup to a boil, about 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup grated Parmesan and lower the heat to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- After the soup has been simmering for at least 30 minutes, adjust the seasoning (adding ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp ground black pepper). Taste before adding more salt. Off the heat, add the zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese and serve.