These chocolate protein truffles are a perfect sugar fix for any health nut who loves chocolate!
I realize the headline sounds like an infomercial, but I can’t help it…I’m so excited about these little energy balls!
I’ve tried tons of homemade protein bar recipes in the past and they all tasted extremely artificial. I was reluctant to try it again but I happened to have the ingredients on hand and thought I’d give it a whirl.
This recipe is super simple…you only need 5 ingredients and a food processor!
My favorite way to eat these guys is before an early workout, or with a piece of fruit and a bottle of water as a quick, satisfying snack.
Be advised, these protein truffles are extremely rich. You definitely want to wash them down with a tall glass of almond milk or water (you should be drinking more water anyway, right? 😉 ).
[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]For the truffles, you will need:[/headline_georgia_small_left]
chocolate protein truffles
- 12 dates (pits removed)
- 1/4 C almond butter (no sugar added)
- 1/4 C raw cashews
- 1 scoop all natural chocolate protein (I use Vega)
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 C cocoa powder (for dusting)
1. Pulse the pitted dates in a food processor until they are chopped and stick together (they will form a ball in the food processor).
2. Add the almond butter and protein, pulse until the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Add the cashews at the end so that you are left with chunks (don’t over process at this point, you will end up with cashew butter!)
4. The ingredients will look like chocolate “gravel”, add a tablespoon of water and pulse until the mixture sticks together when you pinch it. Add 1 more tablespoon if the mixture is not sticking yet. Note: don’t add too much water at once, you can always add more but you can’t take it away!
5. Use a teaspoon to portion out the chocolate date mixture and roll them between clean hands to make little “truffles”. Roll the truffles in unsweetened cocoa powder and enjoy!
The truffles can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Pop one before the gym or for a quick satisfying snack!