Coconut cardamom muesli is a delicious and simple mix of oats, cereal, fruit, and nuts lightly toasted in coconut oil; homemade muesli is the perfect fuel for a busy day. The perfect blend of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein to jump start your metabolism, stave off late afternoon sugar cravings, and keep you energized all day long!
I was first introduced to muesli as a young child growing up in Germany. Muesli was our cereal of choice and it was as common as Captain Crunch. Since moving to America at the age of 6, I often feel nostalgic for European fare and jump at every chance to indulge in my childhood favorites.
I’ve yet to find an American muesli that I really like, that I can enjoy on a low refined-sugar diet. What’s a girl to do besides…make her own! My first attempt at home-made muesli was a huge success and it was substantially easier than I had imagined.
Round up some rolled oats, brown rice puffs, your favorite dried fruit (unsweetened of course), and nuts and get your butt in the kitchen and cook!
coconut cardamom muesli
Quick and delicious European style oatmeal.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1 Cup raw sunflower seeds (you can use any nuts you prefer…mmmm pistachios would be good!)
- 1 Cup puffed brown rice cereal (you can find this at Whole Foods)
- 1 Cup unsweetened raisins
- 2 Tablespoon raw virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 Cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Toast the oatmeal for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Toast the oatmeal until it is lightly golden brown and fragrant (5-8 minutes).
- Add the raw nuts and continue to toast for 5 more minutes.
- Add the coconut oil to the pan and toss to coat the oats and nuts.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, and raisins.
- Add the cardamom and coconut, combine thoroughly.
- Let the muesli cool, serve with milk, almond milk, or yogurt.