I can’t help but have tiny obsession with coconuts. Aside from being incredibly delicious, coconuts are full of nutrients and they are such a versatile ingredient. Coconut products have made healthy cooking so much easier and more satisfying. Coconut milk in dairy free recipes, coconut flour instead of wheat, the list goes on…
After some recipe developing over the weekend, I concocted some grain free pancakes that taste (and smell) exactly like coconut macaroons! With just a few ingredients and some patient flipping you can be enjoying these healthy pancakes without sabotaging any health resolutions you might have made.
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 Cup cashew meal
- 1/2 Cup dried, unsweetened coconut flakes (desiccated coconut)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil for frying the pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, mash 1 large banana. Add the eggs and whisk until well combined. Add the cashew meal, desiccated coconut, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Whisk the batter until it's smooth and homogenous.
- Heat a small, nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil to the pan until it has melted. Scoop out 1/3 Cup of the batter using the measuring cup and spread the batter into a circle on the frying pan. As the pancake begins to cook, you will notice small bubbles forming around the edge and a few in the middle. Take a peak under the pancake; when it looks golden brown, very carefully flip the pancake over with your spatula. The pancakes should cook about 3-4 minutes per side. Stack up your cooked breakfast, top with some jam, and blueberries and enjoy!