8 eggs (chilled)
2 cups dark chocolate (try 72% cocoa for a dark cake or 60% cocoa for a sweeter cake)
2 sticks butter (cut into chunks)
1/4 C strong coffee (for strong coffee, use 2 Tbsp coffee grinds for every 6oz of filtered water)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make the coffee. Chop the chocolate using a serrated knife. Line an 8-inch spring form pan (see note if you don’t have a spring form pan) with parchment paper and generously grease sides of the pan with butter.
2. Bring about 2inches of water to boil in a pot and reduce it to a simmer. Place a heat-proof glass bowl over the simmering water and add the butter and chocolate to the bowl. Stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula until all the chocolate melts.
3. Add the coffee to the chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated.
4. While the chocolate is melting, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs for about 5 minutes. The eggs will look frothy, pale yellow, and will have doubled in volume.
5. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the eggs into the chocolate. Add a little more of the eggs at a time and gently fold until all the eggs are incorporated and you no longer see yellow streaks in the chocolate.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture in your prepped cake pan. Place the cake pan in a larger roasting pan. Pour boiling water in the roasting pan (creating a water bath to keep the cake moist). The water should come half way up the cake pan.
7. Bake the cake for 22-25min. The middle of the cake will still have a little jiggle to it, it will continue to set as it cooks.
8. Cool the cake on top of a wire rack for at least an hour. Cover the cake with a paper towel (to absorb any condensation) and saran wrap and keep it in the fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight.
Note: use a spring form pan to easily remove the cake. If you don’t have a spring form pan (I used a regular pan) use a sharp knife to cut around the edge of the cake so you can easily flip it onto a serving dish.
This recipe was adapted from the flourless chocolate cake by America’s Test Kitchen.