I’d like to introduce you to golden milk hot chocolate. She is the delicious alter ego of “golden milk”, which is a turmeric infused drink that gained popularity in India and parts of Asia for its amazing health benefits. Traditional golden milk is a delicious concoction of milk (usually coconut milk) and turmeric, sweetened with raw honey. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and it has been linked to improved brain function, heart health, and a slew of other exciting health benefits.
No matter how you slice it, turmeric is GOOD FOR YOU!
Ever since I discovered Golden Milk, I’ve been dreaming up ways to give it a chocolatey twist! After some experimentation, I came up with Golden Hot Chocolate that allows you to enjoy the health boosting power of turmeric while satisfying your chocolate craving.
The best thing about this recipe is that you also reap the health benefits of raw cacao powder and cinnamon, which have both been proven to reduce inflammation, increase heart health, and protect your organs (including your skin!) from free radicals (aka little monsters that destroy your cells and speed up aging!!).
You can sip away and know that you’re doing something great for your body!Print
golden milk hot chocolate
- 1 Cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (coconut milk may also be used) + 2 Tbsp almond milk to make a paste
- 1/2 tsp (add 1 full teaspoon if you don’t mind the flavor) ground turmeric
- small pinch of black pepper (this helps your body absorb the nutrients in turmeric!)
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder (this is different than cocoa powder which has been more heavily processed)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 tsp of maple syrup or raw honey (amount can be adjusted to your taste)
- Pour the 1 Cup of almond milk into a saucepan and heat gently over medium heat. Keep an eye on the milk and make sure it doesn’t burn or bubble over.
While the milk is heating up, prepare the chocolate paste
- In a small bowl, combine the turmeric, cacao powder, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Continue to whisk the powder as you slowly add 2 Tbsp of almond milk to transform the powder into a paste.
Combine the two
- Once the almond milk is hot but not boiling (if you dip a metal spoon into the liquid, steam should come off of the spoon) gently pour the hot liquid over the paste, whisking continuously to get a smooth mixture.
- Add the desired amount of maple syrup or honey 1 teaspoon at a time, tasting to get the sweetness that you prefer.
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 3
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0