golden milk hot chocolate
- 1 Cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (coconut milk may also be used) + 2 Tbsp almond milk to make a paste
- 1/2 tsp (add 1 full teaspoon if you don’t mind the flavor) ground turmeric
- small pinch of black pepper (this helps your body absorb the nutrients in turmeric!)
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder (this is different than cocoa powder which has been more heavily processed)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 tsp of maple syrup or raw honey (amount can be adjusted to your taste)
- Pour the 1 Cup of almond milk into a saucepan and heat gently over medium heat. Keep an eye on the milk and make sure it doesn’t burn or bubble over.
While the milk is heating up, prepare the chocolate paste
- In a small bowl, combine the turmeric, cacao powder, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Continue to whisk the powder as you slowly add 2 Tbsp of almond milk to transform the powder into a paste.
Combine the two
- Once the almond milk is hot but not boiling (if you dip a metal spoon into the liquid, steam should come off of the spoon) gently pour the hot liquid over the paste, whisking continuously to get a smooth mixture.
- Add the desired amount of maple syrup or honey 1 teaspoon at a time, tasting to get the sweetness that you prefer.
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 3
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0