A creamy, light tomato soup thickened without cream is the perfect supper companion for your broccoli cheddar grilled cheese sandwich!
I’ve never been a big fan of soups until fairly recently. Now I can’t get enough! Since my obsession started, I’ve tried everything from Creamy Mushroom to Split Pea and yet one of my all time favorites is this tomato soup recipe. This recipe was adapted from my go-to cook book, America’s Test Kitchen . To make the soup a little healthier, I replaced the sugar in this recipe with grated carrots. I also replaced the white bread with whole grain bread.
You can whip up this simple soup and serve with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich!Print
light tomato soup
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans whole tomatoes (28oz each)
- 1/2 carrot (grated)
- 3 slices whole wheat bread- torn into pieces
- 2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and cook the onions over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and slightly browned.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and bay leaf, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, add the cans of tomatoes with their juices and use a potato masher to gently smash the tomatoes down.
- Add the grated carrot and the bread and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- In small batches, blend the soup and return to the pot- if you have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup right in the pot.
- Add the chicken broth to the soup and cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes until the flavors blend.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 111
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0