Use up your leftover trick-or-treat loot with this monster munch – halloween candy popcorn! A healthier alternative to eating fistfuls of processed junk food.
Kenny and I love popcorn. In fact, it’s our go to treat at the end of a long work week. In order to keep our weight in check, we always opt for the most natural, least processed microwave popcorn we can find. I finally bought us a silicone popcorn popper that allows us to air pop our own organic corn kernels in the microwave and we’re obsessed! We opt for olive oil spray which offers great oil distribution without having to drown our popcorn in melted butter. There’s definitely a time and place for buttery movie theater style popcorn but we can’t afford to eat it everyday if we want to look and feel healthy. To make this treat extra special we decided to chop up [just a few] pieces of halloween candy and, voila!, this recipe was born!
A little bit of candy goes a long way and air-popped kernels provide a more wholesome base for not-so-wholesome processed chocolate bars. A drizzle of high quality dark chocolate (72% dark to be exact) contains less sugar and more antioxidants than milk chocolate and satisfies everyone’s sweet tooth. This is the perfect recipe to achieve that satisfying salty-sweet combo without overindulging.Print
monster munch – halloween candy popcorn
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- olive oil spray
- sea salt
- 4 ounces 72% dark chocolate (melted)
- 4-8 ounces of your favorite halloween chocolate or candy (chopped into M&M sized pieces)
- large paper lunch bag or a silicone popcorn popper
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone mat, set aside
- Fill the paper bag or the popcorn popper with the un-popped corn kernels
- Fold the opening of the bag over several times so that it won’t open when the kernels pop
- Place the kernels in the microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes, stay close and turn off the microwave once the popping slows to 5 seconds between pops
- Remove the bag from the microwave (careful, it will be hot!) and empty the popped kernels into the baking sheet
- Spray the popcorn with olive oil spray and sprinkle with sea salt (from up high to get even distribution)
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over all of the popcorn, moving your spoon back and forth to get even distribution
- Sprinkle your favorite halloween candy over the melted chocolate, place the baking sheet in the fridge to set up for 10-20 minutes before serving
If you don’t want to pop your own kernels you can use your favorite brand of microwave popcorn.