These mushroom chili twice baked potatoes combine the comforts of a pot of chili with cheesy taters for a delicious autumn meal!
I love it when warm, cozy comfort food is stuffed into another comfort food classic! That’s exactly what happened when this chili twice baked potato was born!
Hearty, beef and mushroom chili – stuffed into a baked potato, topped with cheese and baked until golden brown! You HAVE to try this before the fall months slip away!
mushroom chili twice baked potatoes
- Cook Time: 120
- Total Time: 120
- Yield: 20
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (can be 1 tsp if you like spicy dishes!)
- 12 ounces button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 Cup water
- 10 small to medium russet potatoes (skins scrubbed cleaned but kept on)
- olive oil and salt to rub over the potatoes
- 2 Cups shredded cheese to top the potatoes (mozzarella, Mexican blend, or cheddar work well)
Bake the potatoes
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone pat (silpat).
- Rub olive oil and salt over the cleaned (unsliced) potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 60 minutes – or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out easily.
- While the potatoes bake, prepare your chili.
Cooking the Chili
- Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the onions and cook over medium heat until browned (about 10 minutes). Use your wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat up into small chunks.
- Once the meat is thoroughly browned, add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir the meat until it’s evenly seasoned.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook with the meat until they are cooked through and shrink in size (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste to the meat and mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the chili simmer for 30minutes while you prepare the potatoes.
Preparing the potatoes
- Remove the cooked, whole potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Cut the cooled potatoes in half, length wise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the center of each potato half.
- Add the scooped out part of the potatoes to your cooked chili – this will also soak up any excess liquid.
- Scoop the chili and potato mixture back into each potato half-shell.
- Top each potato with shredded cheese.
- Place the potatoes back into the oven for 5-10minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Top with sour cream or guacamole and enjoy!