Paleo chocolate cake is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising your fitness and health goals.
Here’s a nice treat for all of you chocolate lovers and health nuts out there. It’s grain free and naturally sweetened with delicious medjool dates. One of my favorite things about this recipe is the fact that I combine all of the ingredients in my food processor and make clean up a bit easier on myself. You can double or triple this recipe to make enough for a party!
paleo chocolate cake
- 6 ounces medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/4 Cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 Cup virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 1 Cup almond meal
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the icing
- 1/2 Cup chilled coconut cream
- 1/4 mashed strawberries or 2 Tablespoons cherry or strawberry jam.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Chop the dates into 1/2 inch pieces, place them in a glass bowl, sprinkle the instant coffee granules over the dates, and cover with hot water. Let the dates and coffee sit for 5-10 minutes until the dates are softened and the coffee is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Grind the softened dates and coffee in a food processor until a smooth paste forms.
- Empty the date paste in the bowl of a standing mixer, add the eggs, whip on medium speed until the volume doubles and the eggs are light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the vanilla extract and melted coconut oil and with the mixer on low, slowly stream the coconut oil into the eggs and continue to mix until fully combined, about 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl of eggs from the standing mixer and fold in the almond meal and cocoa powder mixture until just combined.
- Empty the batter into the prepared baking dish, evening out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean (be sure to rotate the cake halfway through the baking process).
- Allow the cake to cool at room until fully cooled, about 30 minutes, until frosting.
- In the meantime you can whip up the yummy vegan icing!
- Place the can of coconut cream in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Scoop out the thick, chilled cream and use a spoon to combine the cream with the strawberries or jam.
- Spread the icing on the chilled cake. Chill the cake again for about 30 minutes.