parmesan mashed potatoes
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into even pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with enough cold water to cover the potatoes.
- Add the salt to the water, cover the pot, and boil over high heat.
- When the water begins to boil, remove the lid, boil over medium-high heat until the potatoes start to fall apart and a fork easily slides in and out of the potatoes.
- Carefully pour the potatoes and the water into a strainer placed in the sink. Put the potatoes back in the hot pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes a bit.
- Add the parmesan and butter and mash until the butter has melted.
- Add the yogurt and continue to mash until the potatoes are soft and well combined.
- Taste the mashed potatoes at this point and add more salt and some ground black pepper if desired.
- Serve alongside your favorite meat entree or ladle beef stew over mounds of the soft potatoes!