These gluten free peanut butter protein squares are small but they pack a big punch! The best way to enjoy them (in my humble opinion) is 15-30 minutes before a workout so you have energy to work hard without feeling too stuffed to move!
Especially if you work out early in the morning, like I do, you might find it difficult to scarf down a big breakfast AND give your body enough time to digest before you hit the weights. These little squares fill your stomach just enough and the complex carbohydrates from oats will release a steady stream of energy to keep you strong throughout your sweat sesh! I’ve included the recipe for the optional (but not really because it’s so good) chocolate frosting to drizzle on top of these gems! Enjoy, fellow foodies!
peanut butter protein squares
- 1/2 Cup gluten free rolled oats (uncooked) -you can use regular rolled oats if you are not allergic to gluten
- 1/2 Cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup vanilla plant-based protein powder (my favorite is Vega)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
Optional chocolate frosting
- 2 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- 3-4 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- Mix all ingredients together and top the chilled protein squares if you wish!
- Place the oats in a food processor and grind until they are ground up and nearly in powder form.
- Add the peanut butter, protein powder, almond milk, and maple syrup to the oats in the food processor.
- Run the food processor until you have a uniform, well combined mixture.
- Line a small baking dish with wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Drop the oat mixture into the lined baking dish and use clean hands to press the mixture into the dish in an even, thick layer.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- You want to let the protein bars set overnight so the oats soak up the liquid.
- Cut the protein slab into even sized squares.
- Keep the leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator.