[headline_georgia_medium_left color=”#FF6600″]The question I get asked almost every week: “Should I eat something before my early morning workout?”[/headline_georgia_medium_left]
The answer: absolutely YES! Most of us have heard about the advantages of early morning cardio on an empty stomach…right? The theory is that if you do your cardio in the morning (on an empty stomach) you will burn more fat.
I’m not saying that this is wrong, but most people that do early morning cardio on an empty stomach have a split training schedule. Which means, they’ll do their cardio in the am…eat breakfast…and strength train a few hours later. I don’t know about you, but I have enough trouble scheduling 1 workout a day, let alone 2!
Like most people, you will probably only have time to workout once a day and you want to make it count! It’s important to eat before your workout so that your body has fuel to function and build muscle. Don’t be afraid of bulking up, ladies…you won’t! Lean muscle is your body’s fat burning furnace, giving you the coveted “toned” look and burning calories hours after your workout is complete!
This is great news(!) and it’s important to fuel your muscles before you demand a lot from them. Empty stomach cardio might burn calories during your workout, but eating protein before your workout helps preserve lean muscle, which will burn calories during & AFTER you’re done exercising!
In a nutshell, eating a protein filled breakfast within an hour of waking up is great for fat loss because:
- it boosts your metabolism!
- it prevents carb cravings later in the day!
- it preserves the lean muscle that gives you the “toned” look!
- it gives you enough energy and nutrients to get an awesome workout early in the morning and set yourself up for an energized and productive day!
Planning on an early morning workout tomorrow? Try this delicious Macho Mocha Protein Shake!
[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]For this recipe, you’ll need:[/headline_georgia_small_left] [green_tick_2_list width=”100%”]
- 1/2 frozen banana (peel removed before freezing)
- 1 Cup unsweetened coconut milk (almond milk can also be used)
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein (stevia sweetened…check out the 7 Day Slim Down for a list of my favorite protein powders!)
- 1 large tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 scant tsp instant coffee (try the Trader Joe’s Colombian Instant Coffee…it’s delicious!)
- ice + some water to get desired consistency
- blend and enjoy!