[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]Fall is in the air! Celebrate with this quick, yummy post workout meal.[/headline_georgia_small_left]
Everyone knows that autumn is upon us when Starbucks brings back their Pumpkin Spice Latte…and iiiitttt’sss baaaaaaaccccckkkkk!
There’s nothing I don’t love about this season. The colorful leaves, the sophisticated fashion, and especially the comfort food make this my favorite season of all. Not to mention the Holidays are right around the corner!
Even though we are in the middle of a heat wave in Northern Cali (it got to balmy 100 in Sunnyvale today!) there’s no mistake that everyone has Fall Fever.
I got it especially bad this year, so when I saw that Trader Joe’s started carrying their canned organic pumpkin again I just HAD to use it!
I think of myself as a pretty conventional cook, I like to make classic dishes with quality ingredients and minor tweaks for health’s sake, so this recipe was a bit of a stretch for me.
Despite my apprehensions about how it would turn out, the combination of pumpkin, shrimp, and pasta turned to be a hit. Who knows, maybe I’ll start being more adventurous with my recipes after all =).
P.S. As far as healthy goes, the pumpkin adds amazing antioxidants and caratenoids to an otherwise heavy dish. Serve a helping with a nice big side salad and you’re set!
[features_box_azure_blue width=”75%” + border=”2px”]
[headline_georgia_medium_centered color=”#000000″]Pumpkin Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp[/headline_georgia_medium_centered]
FREE printable recipe card to stick on your fridge or add to your recipe box!
Mac users: click on the link PC users: right click and “save link as”
[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]You will need:[/headline_georgia_small_left]
- 1lb brown rice pasta
- 1 C canned pumpkin (make sure you don’t accidentally get canned pumpkin pie mix as that is sweetened and spiced!)
- 1 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb frozen precooked shrimp
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 C grated sharp cheddar
- fresh basil for garnish
[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]To make the pasta:[/headline_georgia_small_left]
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, season the water liberally and cook the pasta according to package directions.Remove 1 cup of starchy pasta water and set aside before you drain the noodles.
2. Turn the stove off, drain the noodles and place them back in the hot pot. Defrost the shrimp by running it under cold water until the ice melts away.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, chili powder, and 1 tsp of salt (you can add more later if you wish). Whisk everything together until the pumpkin is incorporated.
4. As you continue to whisk, slowly add 3/4 of a cup of hot pasta water that you set aside in step 1. This helps cook the eggs and make a creamy sauce for the pasta.
5. Combine the pumpkin sauce with the noodles in the pot and add the grated cheese and defrosted shrimp. Stir over low heat until the shrimp is heated through and the cheese has melted.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired, top with fresh basil and enjoy!
[headline_georgia_small_left color=”#FF6600″]I wanna hear from you! What’s the weirdest recipe you’ve ever tried?[/headline_georgia_small_left]