Spinach and kale frittata is pretty much a healthy pizza for breakfast! Get your greens and protein with this super simple frittata recipe!
My favorite meal to cook and eat has always been breakfast. There’s nothing I enjoy more on a weekend than going for a chilly morning run and coming back to an empty kitchen to whip up a delicious meal while the house is still asleep.
When I think of weekend breakfasts visions of French Toast and pancakes usually swim around my head, but this Christmas morning I wanted to treat my family with something a little more healthy.
The cheese and eggs in this dish make it extremely satisfying while the greens give you a jolt of delicious nutrients. My family enjoyed this frittata with whole grain croissants from Trader Joe’s and a fresh pot of coffee. Try it this weekend and let me know what you think!Print
spinach kale frittata
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 bag frozen spinach
- 1/2 bag frozen kale (Trader Joe’s of course =) )
- 1/2 lb turkey bacon (sliced)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I use “Quatro Formaggio” from Trader Joe’s)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and cook the onions until they are transparent and beginning to turn golden brown (8-10 minutes). Add the turkey bacon and cook until crisp (10 minutes).
2. While the bacon is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the frozen spinach and kale to the skillet, cook until the greens defrost completely (about 5 minutes).
3. While the greens are defrosting, get a large bowl and mix together the milk and eggs and season with salt and pepper.
4. Turn off the stove, pour the egg mixture over the greens and bacon, top with cheese and place in the oven until the eggs are set and the cheese starts to brown (about 20minutes). Slice like a pizza, pour a cup of joe, and enjoy!