For the passed month a group of friends and I have been enjoying awesome Saturday nights in; partaking in delicious food, great films, and oaky red wine. Our group dates so far have consisted of fondue night, gourmet hot dogs, awards shows, and Woody Allen…it’s been awesome!
A couple weekends ago my friend Pegah, one of the super fit members of the fantastic foursome, told us that she’s a pescatarian. She enjoys all types of fruits and veggies and her main source of animal protein is fish. This got me thinking about what I would eat if I gave up beef and chicken and I decided to come up with a recipe that would make weekday fish meals easy and delicious.
This recipe is for you, Pegs!…and anyone else who wants to eat great and look awesome!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 stalks celergy (diced)
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 2-5oz cans tuna (drained) I prefer tuna packed in olive oil but you can use whatever you enjoy.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add the diced onions and cook until translucent (about 4 minutes over medium high heat).
- Add the diced celery to the onions and cook another 8 minutes.
- While the onions and celery are cooking, mix the tuna, parmesan, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked onion and celery to the tuna mixture and combine thoroughly with a fork.
- Use a 1/4 C measuring cup to scoop portion out tuna patties.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat and cook the tuna cakes (about 5 minutes on each side) until golden brown.
- Remove the cooked tuna cakes from the pan and place on top of a paper bag to soak up excess oil.
- Serve the tuna cakes over a bed of lettuce with a spritz of fresh lemon juice and enjoy!
- Tip: cook up several tuna cakes over the weekend and keep in the fridge for a quick protein source for healthy lunches.