It’s no secret, breakfast food is my absolute favorite thing to make, eat, and photograph. There’s nothing quite like Saturday morning light hitting your short stack of freshly made pancakes. Nothing as comforting as the sound of percolating coffee as the aroma wafts into sleepy bedrooms. In my mind, breakfast equals comfort!
Since I’m constantly balancing my love for morning treats with my desire to be fit, healthy breakfast recipes always excite me. This vegan pancake recipe fulfills the sepcooks requirements for yummy and healthy and I’m so excited to share it with you!Print
vegan flap jacks
A delicious morning treat that’s kind to your beautiful figure.
- Yield: 5
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 banana (mashed with a fork)
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened rice or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 Cup gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill brand or Trader Joe’s) or rice flour if you can’t find a gluten free blend
- virgin coconut oil for cooking
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and water. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes gelatinous (this is your egg substitute).
- While the flax seeds sit, grab a large mixing bowl and combine your mashed banana, “milk” of choice”, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flax seeds and water to the large mixing bowl with your mashed banana mixture. Mix well.
- Add the gluten free flour until just combined.
- Heat a medium sized non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil on the pan to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Portion out 1/3 Cup of the pancake mixture at a time and cook one pancake on the frying pan at a time.
- When bubbles start to form on the edges and the bottom of the pancake is golden brown, it’s time to flip!
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the pancake over (vegan pancakes are softer than traditional ones; flip with care).
- Keep cooking 1/3 Cup of the batter at a time.
- Top your short stack with your favorite ingredients (I like maple syrup + goji berries) and enjoy!