asian chicken salad
This asian chicken salad is the perfect summer meal with enough protein and veggies to keep you satisfied.
I’m terrible at making salads. Vegetables make an appearance on my plate when they’re pre-prepared [usually by others] and when minimal work is required from me. I rarely go out of my way to prepare a side salad or veggie to serve with anything. Therefore, main courses that feature tons of healthy vegetables are my best friend.
Like many busy, hungry people – getting various nutrients in one bowl makes my life easier. This asian chicken salad ticks all my boxes for a simple, delicious, and healthy weeknight meal. The savory dressing makes the simple ingredients feel indulgent without compromising room for dessert. You can even use this dressing as a yummy marinade for salmon!
Find the mobile friendly version of this asian chicken salad recipe [along with the shopping list and 4 other summer recipes] in the June issue of Supper Club magazine!
A satisfying, healthy asian chicken salad with plenty of protein and vegetables to make a light meal.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 pounds chicken breast or thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 9 ounces red cabbage, shredded
- 12 ounces shredded carrots (use carrot and broccoli slaw if your grocer carries it)
- 10 ounces sugar peas in pods, blanched and cooled in an ice bath
- ½ cup fresh scallions, the green parts sliced on a bias
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, shelled
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove fresh garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the chicken broth, onion, and chicken in a large covered pot and bring to a boil over low heat.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar with a lid and shake to combine. You can also whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- Combine the cabbage and carrots in a large serving bowl and dress with ½ of the dressing. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the broth and allow to cool. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add the chicken, blanched peas, scallions, cilantro, and sunflower seeds to the cabbage and combine with the rest of the dressing and toss just before serving.