bacon and veggie breakfast quesadilla
Turkey bacon and veggie breakfast quesadilla is the perfect way to get some healthy protein and veggies into your diet first thing in the morning!
Okay, so I’m cheating a little. This past weekend was my sister’s birthday and I also started a new job yesterday, which means, like many of you out there I’ve been super busy.
I haven’t had time to step in the kitchen unless it was to bake my sister’s bday cake or prepare a quick lunch for myself and I definitely didn’t want to go too long without posting a recipe so here’s my idea:
Recycled Recipes Week! I’m going to be posting some of my favorite recipes from my previous cooking blog, Sep’s Culinary Consulting! This way, I won’t fall behind on my posts AND you can access some of my favorite healthy recipes that otherwise wouldn’t be on this site!
Waking up super early to workout and get ready for work leaves me so little time to eat a satisfying breakfast. This morning I scarfed down a protein shake and a banana, which left much to be desired. Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day and I love to eat a hearty portion that will keep me going for a few hours. Sipping my protein shake in the car today definitely had me yearning for one of my usual big girl breakfasts like this cheesy Breakfast Quesadilla.
1 lb Turkey Bacon
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion (sliced)
2 Bell Peppers (sliced thinly aka Julienned)
½ lb Crimini Mushrooms (sliced)
1 Anaheim Pepper (sliced)
1 Jalapeno (sliced into rings) Tip: If you want it mild, remove the ribs and seeds before adding the pepper to the pan!
Salt & Pepper
3 Tbsp Nonfat Milk
4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 ½ C Monterey Jack Cheese (Shredded) Tip: for an extra kick, use Pepper Jack!
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking with aluminum foil and place all of the bacon on the pan. Bake until the turkey bacon is crisp and brown, 12-15 minutes.
2. While the bacon cooks, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil ripples, add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, Anaheim pepper, and the Jalapeno to the skillet. Cook until the onions and the peppers are softened and slightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. While the vegetables cook, prepare the eggs for scrambling. Crack the eggs in a medium bowl, add the milk, season with salt and pepper, and whisk or beat with a fork until well combined.
4. Heat a skillet over low heat and spray with cooking spray. Add the eggs and cook over low heat, using a rubber spatula to fold constantly until the desired doneness is achieved, about 5 minutes.
5. Heat a tortilla on a warm skillet and sprinkle with cheese. Add some of the scrambled eggs, the vegetables, and crumble a couple pieces of bacon on top, fold the quesadilla over and heat until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
I wanted to share the recipe in case any of you have time to make this during the week. It doesn’t take much time at all but I definitely need to cut down on my hair straightening time if I plan on making this before work!