chocolate ganache frosting
This chocolate ganache frosting is the perfect compliment to my “better than box yellow sheet cake.” It’s delicious and rich chocolate flavors can be paired with any cake or cupcake.
To get the right balance of flavors I use very dark chocolate (72% cocoa) and a small amount of brown sugar to add some caramel notes. The frosting will get thicker as it cools. Be sure to spread this only on cakes that are completely cooled. Spread the frosting when it’s at room temperature. Use liberally on cakes, cupcakes, and baked donuts!
- 10 ounces 72% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the heavy cream and chocolate in a large, heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a small saucepan with 2 inches of water simmering over low heat. Stir the chocolate and cream until the chocolate has melted and fully incorporated with the cream.
- Put the melted chocolate aside and let it cool for 20-30 minutes at room temperature.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, with a whisk attachment in place, mix together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the melted, cooled chocolate to the butter.
- Continue to beat the mixture until it begins to thicken and lightens in color, 3-5 minutes.
- The frosting will be very soft and will set as it cools.
- Spread the room temperature frosting over completely cooled cake and chill the frosted cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. If chilling the cake overnight, allow it to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.